2023.02.17 Van Plans
Update on our crappy old 1993 VW T4 EuroVan with an I5 and a manual transmission...
Things accomplished on it so far:
- managed to actually pass DEQ, get registered and plated (kind of a long story by itself)
- repaired the rear seat belts to functionality to actually have more than just one passenger
- re-connected the transmission shifter linkage that fell apart/off
- obtained updated wheels + tires
Things needing to get accomplished:
- re-re-connect the transmission shifter linkage, because the previous fix also broke - temporarily re-attached but need to put a new-new bushing in (correctly), investigate getting a new heat shield so the exhaust doesn't melt the bushing and/or a supplementary restrain feature
- get previously mentioned wheels + tires actually mounted, balanced, and installed
- remove the incorrectly installed review mirror stalk - to install the cool new rearview mirror + camera system
- replace the broken passenger side door mirror (part obtained)
- find out why the power door windows aren't working any more
- find out why water is pooling in the passenger door (possibly connected to the broken door mirror)
- replace the stereo head unit so that we can listen to music without the faceplate randomly falling out
- remove the outboard rear-face seat to facilitate loading large loads / bike / dog
- replace seatbelt for inboard rear-facing seat for bonus seating needs
- get a bike rack - because multiple bikes don't actually fit inside
- replace the "cool" aftermarket LED headlights with ones that actually work in the dark
The awkward thing, strategically speaking, is that Amy's lease Jetta is being given back in a couple months. So, in order to avoid having to shell out for another vehicle, it would be nice if the crappy old van (CODENAME: AKNOT) was reliable enough for our occasional parallel-commuting needs. Mostly kid-school deliveries when Amy has to work. The path towards reliability is not meeting our required timeline.
Either I need to stop being driven to becoming a quivering wreck by work stress so I can make shit happen, or we need to find a mechanic to deal with some of our list.